This is how I roll…all day long! #HuntingForPurpleSquirrels
This is how I roll…all day long! #HuntingForPurpleSquirrels
Industry News and Updates:
Boom or Bust? Neither! The first question I seem to get when I speak to both hiring managers and candidates is: “How is the market doing?” My answer is: It’s not 2014 where every company in Houston seemed to be hiring, but it is also not the 80’s bust either (I personally have only heard stories about this time). Houston has come such a long way and has diversified from being just an oil town since then. We are so much more! Don’t get me wrong there are industries in Houston that are truly hurting, but there are also industries that are doing just fine. The price of oil does impact our economy directly and indirectly, but I am so excited to report that it seems to be ticking up every week. Today the price is around $45 a barrel. Most economist will tell you that we need to get to $60 dollars a barrel and a lot of them have predicted we will hit that number by the end of the year.
It is harder to find a job today and you have to use multiple resources. You cannot simply go online, upload your resume to CareerBuilder and wait for the phone to ring. First, you have to make sure that you have a good resume (there are some links listed below with resume writing tips) and then you have to use great recruiters, your network, LinkedIn, networking functions, ads, niche job boards and yes CareerBuilder. One source is not enough in the present job market. The great news is that our unemployment rate is still below 5%; which technically speaking, means that we are at full employment. As you know, I always like to see the bright side of things!
See you again in July 2016
West Houston/Energy Corridor:
Consulting & Temporary Roles:
San Antonio Openings:
Industry News and Updates:
Let me just jump right in and address the question that is going through everyone’s mind: What is going on in the Houston job market? I get this one daily and I must admit it is not an easy question to answer. I would like to share some data that I learned about at a recent forum (Bauer College of Business – Institute for Regional Forecasting) I attended and then share my thoughts at the end. The title of the Forum was: Houston’s Job Growth Stumbles As Oil Markets Swoon: Where Now? That doesn’t really set the tone for a positive outlook, does it? Here are some of the highlights:
That is what I learned and here is MY opinion… I think there are many sectors in Houston that will be hiring. Our office is seeing demand in a lot of different industries and at a variety of levels. Is this the summer of 2014? No, and it will not be for a while. The Houston economy goes through business cycles just like everyone else. While most of the US was still in the midst of the Great Recession, Houston was booming. Well, it’s not a BUST for Houston for now, but we will be hurting a little bit in the near future. Companies are going to try and get by with less overhead. They are going to consolidate positions and they are going to have to lay off, unfortunately. The good news for you is that you are an accountant! There is always a need for accountants!!!!! Also, Houston is still at a 4.8% unemployment rate (September 4.4, October 4.6). We are still at full employment and there are plenty of people nearing retirement age. The jobs are still out there, however, they are not as easy to find and you may have to be a little bit more flexible with what you are looking for. So, my verdict? I am cautiously optimistic about 2016, but I am really looking forward to 2017!!!!!!
See you again in February 2016!
San Antonio Searches:
Diane Delgado LeMaire
Senior Managing Director, Executive Search & Branch Manager
713.490.6003 | firstname.lastname@example.org
• Perform all aspects of a full audit examination with limited managerial guidance. Essential elements of an Audit will include audit planning, walkthroughs, audit program development, risk and control identification, status reporting, decision-making, and time/budget management
• Plan, organize, and perform various audits.
• Develop accurate, meaningful and complete audit work papers and draft reports that adequately support audit findings and document work performed.
• Develop issue based reports based on audit points, summarize findings and recommendations.
• Prepare draft audit report to departmental and client management for review and discussion.
• Suggest recommendations on ways to improve audit work processes.
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, will consider other degrees based on level of Senior Auditor experience.
• CPA, CFA or CIA (or progress towards completion) preferred
• Minimum of two years of relevant and progressive Internal Audit
• Working knowledge of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act, internal auditing standards, and GAAP
• Experience in leading projects and proven ability to drive results
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Produce and distribute departmental financial statements to Departments and Senior Management.
• Review financial statements, research variances, and initiate correcting journal entries.
• Perform monthly accruals and expense allocations.
• Perform detail analysis and periodic audits of expense reports.
• Respond to inquiries from Branch management arising from monthly financial statement review.
• Reconcile gross profit reports to general ledger.
• Prepares financial and statistical reports as required. Assumes other special activities and responsibilities as directed.
• Attend monthly financial meetings.
• Assist with annual audit.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelors Degree in Accounting or Finance required, plus 3-5 years relevant experience. CPA and public accounting preferred.
Key Success criteria:
Individual Job Responsibilities– four to six key areas
1. Team leader and builder for local accounting related issues
2. Coordinate a thorough G/L review and monthly closing process
3. Perform variance analysis and comments for management’s discussion and analysis
4. Maintain consistency with respect to accounting procedures and files
5. Ensure procedures are in place for timely and accurate reporting.
6. Assist with Journal Entries and account reconciliations where necessary
7. Perform accounting review and month-end metrics.
Expected Outcomes– list for each responsibility
1. Timely and accurate monthly financial reporting
2. Accounting processes executed within established and document policies and procedures
1. Strong Skill with Microsoft Excel.
2. Experience should include at least three years accounting experience in manufacturing environment.
Qualifications – Competencies
1. Position requires professional written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
2. The ability to motivate teams to produce quality materials within tight time frames and simultaneously manage several projects.
3. Microsoft Excel proficiency- Expert.
Job Complexity –
Difficulty is dependent upon experience with Excel with ability to handle, manage, and mitigate manual close and consolidation process and change implementation. This Position will be controller’s right hand.
A quick and great list to review. Most of these should be self explanatory…but unfortunately they are not!
Good news, bad news. Bad news: The majority of job seekers are blowing it in their job interviews. So the bar is pretty low.
Now the good news: You can stand out in interviews by being prepared. Well-rehearsed, smart about your answers and balanced between confidence and humility.
So instead of lecturing you more about the “crap” that happens in interviews (both with external company interviews or within your company), I’ll just point out the multiple bloopers.
See other LinkedIn blogs and my website blogs for the interview solutions.
In my 30+ years hiring, interviewing and helping thousands of job seekers, the following 30, in no particular order, are the most popular mistakes.
1. Not listening to the question.
2. Babbling on and on and on and on
3. Not having interesting questions.
4. No passion, low energy.
5. Cocky, not self-aware or not humble.
6. Negative about your prior company, prior boss, or prior anything.
7. Not being prepared with good ‘ole strengths and weaknesses.
8. Forgot to go for the close, or ask to continue to the next step of the hiring process.
9. Slow with turnaround on a request from the interviewer (like sending information).
10. Smelling. Onions, cigarette smoke, perfume, cologne.
11. Chewing gum.
12. Phone on and vibrating or ringing
13. Dressed inappropriately, sloppy.
14. Nothing to write with (and I don’t mean on a PC or phone).
15. Having something to write with, but not writing anything down.
16. Spilling a cup of coffee or soda.
17. Leaving your dirty cup of coffee or soda on their desk upon departure.
18. Sticky or wimpy handshake.
19. No eye contact.
22. Forgetting your resume, not having enough copies.
23. Not knowing the job description of the position you are interviewing for.
24. Not doing research on the web about the company, division, hiring manager, etc.
25. Scuffed shoes.
26. Listening to music or talking on your phone in the waiting room.
27. Asking about salary or benefits.
28. Left your manners at home.
29. Messy with your stuff: messy papers, coat, bags, purses all disheveled, no hand free to shake hands.
30. Being late!
More bad news: there are more than these 30! Help our LinkedIn blog readers and contribute more mistakes that you see as an interviewer.
(To accelerate your next career move or hire a dynamic speaker, visit DanaManciagli.com)
Diane Delgado LeMaire | Area Director, Executive Search & Branch Manager | Creative Financial Staffing, a division of Fitts, Roberts CPA Firm | 5718 Westheimer Suite 800 | Houston, TX 77057 | 713-490-6003 | email@example.com| My LinkedIn | My Blog |
90K plus 30% bonus plus 30% stock options
The successful candidate will work on internal audit activities encompassing 200+ locations at a global dynamic company.
The position will be responsible for carrying out audit procedures, in accordance with professional standards, to evaluate control deficiencies and to recommend appropriate corrective actions.
The individual should be capable of identifying process improvement opportunities for management’s consideration, be able to perform at the highest level and with a risk based approach and willing to share best practices within the organization.
Other areas of involvement may include special management-directed projects, including fraud investigations, forensic audits and IT and Sarbanes-Oxley initiatives depending on experience, business need and career objectives. This position can be a springboard to other financial management roles in the company.
Relocation assistance could be considered for the right candidate.
BS in Accounting, Business or Computer Science
Excellent analytical, problem-solving, interpersonal, organizational and communication skills
Ability to quickly obtain knowledge of Company policies and procedures is desirable
Collaborative team member with strong interpersonal skills to lead audit engagements
Willingness to constructively challenge practices and processes
Proficiency in time management, organization and planning skills
Ability to work alone or in a team setting
Must possess good work habits and strong work ethic
Ability to handle multiple projects at one time
Advanced degree (e.g., MBA)
Professional certification (e.g., CPA, CIA, CISA, CFE, CMA, etc.), or progress toward certification
Ability to travel 50 to 60% primarily domestic with occasional international assignments
Looking for Senior Accountants with International Accounting and Consolidations experience.
Managing financial accounting and reporting activities for the Company’s holding companies
Perform reconciliations between Statutory books and US GAAP books on a quarterly basis
Ensure statutory report and taxes are submitted timely
Provide support to International Business Units on matters of accounting and tax policy and practice, internal controls, as well as the implementation of financial accounting systems
Provides support and assists with the coordination of the financial accounting and reporting activities for operations across our International business units
Assist in resolution of any accounting and internal control issues related to International accounting operations
Improve timeliness and accuracy of financial closing and reporting for International companies
Review financial activity and transactions associated with International joint ventures to ensure compliance with Company policies and procedures
Work with the treasury, legal and accounting functions on reorganizations, acquisitions, divestitures, and tax planning implementation and documentation, as needed
Participate in process improvement projects that result in greater efficiency
A minimum of 5-8 years of experience in a financial-management role at the corporate level of a mid to large sized publicly held company
Solid understanding of GAAP and IFRS standards
In depth understanding of both US and international accounting and tax principles
Knowledge and experience with foreign currencies
Experience in the Oil & Gas or Energy industry desirable
Experience working in a decentralized organization
Public Accounting experience and international accounting experience highly preferred
Facilitate and coordinate multiple deadlines and respond quickly to management requests
Must be able to travel 10% internationally
Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or similar field is required. MBA is preferred
CPA Certification is Required
Essential Duties and Responsibilities • Analyze current and past trends in key performance indicators including all areas of revenue, cost of sales, expenses and capital expenditures to facilitate and support timely and definable planning and decision making.
• Coordinate with the different business units the preparation of the forecast and long term projections
• Monitor performance indicators, highlight trends and analyze causal factors behind variances and trends.
• Work on a team to manage the continued development of Budgeting, Financial Forecasting, Operating Plan and Modeling tools.
• Improve performance by evaluating processes to drive efficiencies and understand ROI in marketing programs, menu pricing, new store rollouts as well as new projects
• Develop financial models and analyses to support strategic initiatives
• Analyze complex financial information and reports to provide accurate and timely financial recommendations to management for decision making purposes
• Supervision of Financial Analyst(s)
• Strong leadership skills required
• Highest standards of accuracy and precision; highly organized.
• Articulate with excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to think creatively, highly-driven and self-motivated
Experience and Educational requirements • Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance; MBA a plus
• 5-7 years of experience in Financial Planning and Analysis
Our client is growing by acquisition and organic growth. They are adding an Inventory Accountant to their team. This company offers an opportunity to be involved in a lot of areas of accounting and special projects. There are many cross training and process improvement opportunities.
Primarily responsible for inventory analysis and related duties. May include cross training on fixed assets and special projects as needed.
Essential Job Functions and Responsiblities:
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
Job Responsibilities include:
1-Who doesn’t want to work close to home?!?! Saving on gas $$ adds more money to your bank account!
2-TONS OF GROWTH POTENTIAL IN THIS MANUFACTURING COMPANY! This Accounting Manager role is open due to promotion…
3-Publicly traded oil field service (manufacturing) company that is growing by acquisition! (this leads back to reason #2) **Added PLUS.. get the SOX experience you desire and need for your resume**
4-NO oil and gas experience needed! Really?? Just some cost / manufacturing experience will get your foot into this company!
5- Have an MBA but no CPA.. that’s ok! Stop letting that advanced degree and your hard work go to waste!
6-Business casual fun work environment! Manufacturing atmosphere.. means you don’t have to wear a suit all day..
Here is what I want to see in your resume… (so let’s make sure it’s in there)…
Manufacturing experience – some sort of cost (average or standard)
Bachelor degree in Accounting or Finance
2+ years of supervising staff
APPLY NOW! Email your resume as an MS Word attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org Don’t wait another day!
List of job accounting & finance job openings Houston: Continue reading
The Treasury Staff Accountant will work closely with the Treasury senior accountant and report to the Controller. The Treasury Staff Accountant will perform day to day treasury functions such as:
• Initiate ACH/Wires for payments to clients, vendors, financial institutions, and consumer refunds
• Circulate daily cash reports
• Transfer funds between bank accounts
• Prepare Cash Receipts summary on a daily basis
• Entry of treasury related journal entries
• Perform interest calculation
• Processing petty cash related checks and entries
• Process vendor checks
• Maintain Wire Profile sheet
Key Position Requirements : The qualified Treasury Staff Accountant should possess treasury related experience and should have a hands-on knowledge of Treasury Optimizer and experience with interacting with bankers. Candidate should be a team player. Experience in similar role for 1-2 years.
ABOUT THE COMPANY
Our client is a leading service organization in the financial industry; they are looking to hire a Staff Accountant. With a large and growing accounting and finance team, there is significant opportunity for growth and advancement within the Accounting department. The company boasts a team-oriented culture and provides its accounting employees with the tools and training necessary to perform.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE STAFF ACCOUNTANT
The Staff Accountant will compile and analyze financial information to prepare entries to general ledger accounts.
Record and reconcile A/R and follow up on client discrpancies
Assists with preparting balance sheet, profit and loss statement, and other reports to summarize current and projected company financial position.
Reconciles all bank accountants and posts all wire transfers
Staff Accountant Job Requirements
EXPERIENCE PREFERRED FOR THE STAFF ACCOUNTANT ROLE:
Attention to detail
Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Corporate accounting / General ledger experience
Solid computer skills
keywords: staff accountant, accounting, accountant, general ledger accountant, senior accountant
Our client is a publicly traded oil & gas services company with over 3000 employees worldwide. They are growing through acquisition and organic growth. At this time they need to add a Division Senior Accountant to their team.
• Work directly with the Accounting Manager in completing essential accounting/finance functions of the company.
Month-end financial reporting
Assist in month-end closing procedures including:
o General Journal entries on multiple general ledgers
o General Ledger account reconciliations
o Intercompany invoices
o Fixed Asset management including additions, disposals, and depreciation
o Bank reconciliations
o Account roll-forwards and sub-ledger reconciliations
o Assistance in other aspects of closing of the books and records in accordance with US GAAP
o Maintain compliance of internal SOX controls
• Assist in maintaining accounting controls
• Assist with intercompany invoicing
• Required Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting
• Advanced skills required in MS Excel and Word.
• Good interpersonal and leadership skills to gather information from and work with multiple levels the organization.
• US Federal (1120S), Texas Business and Texas Sales tax compliance.
• Domestic, international, and consolidated compliance as well as managerial based financial reporting and analysis
• Design, implementation, and management of various corporate initiatives including system enhancements, process automation, and internal controls
• Development and deployment of various managerial and departmental reports
• Year-end reporting, planning, and valuation processes
• Third party compliance reporting and domestic and international independent audits
• Completion of general periodic departmental requirements
• Perform related duties as required
BBA-Accounting degree required
GPA of 3.0 or higher required
Microsoft office skills (Excel, Word, Outlook) required
Public accounting experience preferred