Job Search Tips for the passively seeking, actively searching and unemployed
- Number one rule: 20% of all jobs are advertised, 80% are not!
- Job searches have become more difficult, but not impossible. If you are unemployed, you need to treat your search as a full time job. You have to be able to work your network and get creative. The jobs are not going to come to you.
- Average search time for a position is 2 to 6 months.
- Join http://www.linkedin.com. This is a great professional networking website. Link up with me here: http://www.linkedin.com/in/dianedelgadolemaire
- Utilize http://www.indeed.com to set up job search agents.
- Check my blog for the most updated list of our openings: dianedelgadolemaire.wordpress.com
- Don’t forget about leads in the Chronicle and Houston Business Journal.
- Make sure you always have the most updated copy of your resume close by. You just never know!
- Unemployed? Email everyone in your address book your resume and ask them to forward it on to their friends.
- Update your Facebook status to let people know that you are looking for a position.
- Volunteer your time. Meet new people! Join an organization you are passionate about.
- Join networking groups or become a member of various professional organizations.
- Go to CPE luncheon meetings! Network with fellow accountants, auditors, etc.
- Make sure you consider temporary jobs. They can open up doors as well.
- Use Twitter to let people know you are looking: http://www.twitter.com. You can follow me at @CPARecruiterHOU
Diane Delgado LeMaire
Senior Managing Director, Executive Search & Branch Manager
Creative Financial Staffing (CFS)