Our client is a top Commercial Real Estate Management company located in West Houston and serving a wide variety of US markets. They are internationally oriented and serve over 30 countries. Consistently nominated and awarded as a “best place to work”, they provide their employees with a challenging and supportive working environment. This company is primarily involved in the management of Class “A” properties and asset/investment services.
Location: Energy Corridor
- Liaison between property management, ownership, and the accounting department
- Work with management to develop the annual budget
- Review financial statements and reports
- New lease/amendment creation, work with leasing coordinators and create strong relationships
- Evaluate and analyze cash flows for selected properties
- Property Accounting experience (open to any)(prefers commercial)
- MRI/Yardi experience
- Accounting or Finance degree (preferred)
Why work here?
- Small company environment with large company growth potential
- Rapid growth; financial stability
- Casual office setting
- Brand new office
- Internal promotion opportunities
- Free PTO to use towards a charity of your choice
The Manager is responsible for design, monitoring and maintenance activities related to the company-wide internal controls to ensure compliance with the provisions of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act (“SOX”). The position will assist in the evaluation of the effectiveness of controls and the control environment, and document and remediate any deficiencies identified. Provide guidance to process owners on ongoing compliance with existing controls, as well as manage the documentation of controls and process flows.
Essential Job Functions
- Maintains a safe, secure and healthy environment by adhering to Company/Customer safety standards and practices and to legal regulations, alerting others regarding potential hazards.
- Manage all aspects of SOX requirements for Inc. and its global business units, including ensuring the adequacy of the design and operating effectiveness of the control environment.
- Oversee the preparation, evaluation, and maintenance of the inventory of SOX control documentation.
- Manage timely completion of monthly, quarterly and annual compliance-related processes, including quarterly certifications and management’s annual assessment of control design and operating effectiveness.
- Interface with internal and external auditors on internal controls testing and the results thereof.
- Identify opportunities to standardize and advise of best practices in internal control designs, including recommending changes in controls that will improve operating efficiency.
- Assist in the disposition and monitoring of the internal audit points identified by Audit Services, including a review of significant financial control test results with the underlying process owner. Analyze the solution and confirm its sustainability, as well as work with the businesses to drive sustainable solutions that mitigate the identified risks reported in Audit Services reports.
- Assist in the timely and sustainable remediation of deficiencies, including the preparation of a root cause analysis of the controls which are not operating consistently.
- Develop solutions to track pervasiveness of internal risks and work to reduce such risks.
- Identify areas of process/continuous improvements while working with the businesses to streamline controls and embed them within the local processes.
- Assist in the development of an internal control concept in a changing environment (e.g. acquisitions, consolidating ERP systems, centralization of functions into a shared services environment, and other initiatives as they arise).
- Oversee the preparation, evaluation, and maintenance of Global Accounting and Finance Policies.
- Establish and provide appropriate training and communications associated with corporate procedures, policies and associated requirements.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) required
- Five (5) to eight (8) years of experience with a combination of both public accounting, with an emphasis in internal controls over financial reporting.
- Requires exceptional verbal and written communication skills, solid relationship management skills and ability to build and grow connections with people of all types and backgrounds.
- Has independent critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills, and is comfortable with ambiguity and the ability to navigate
This newsletter was due out in January! I have received a lot of emails inquiring about market updates and so lets get right to it. The job market in Houston is hot. We are not on fire yet, but we are getting there. Houston created 78,000 jobs in 2018. That is the most we have created since 2014; we have seen a few rough years! The majority of the growth has come from the Manufacturing, Construction and Professional Services sectors of our economy (information provided by The Economy At A Glance).
Personally, I am observing a lot of movement in all industries and all levels. Most companies are back-filling roles, but there are plenty who are also creating new roles due to growth. My outlook for 2019 remains very positive!
As always please feel free to reach out to me with any questions, updated resumes or updated job–search parameters.
Please forward this on to anyone in your network who may be interested and let them know I can add them to this distribution list. This newsletter comes out quarterly, so I promise not to clog up your inbox. Stay tuned for my next newsletter in June!
- National Unemployment Rate: 4.4 (last year 4.5)
- Houston Unemployment Rate: 4.5 (last year 4.9)
- Labor Participation Rate: 63.2% (last year 63.0%) – All time high January 2000: 67.30%
- Manufacturing Index: 55.1
- Oil Rig Count: 1,048 (last year 969) – all time high around 1900 in 2012!
- Price of Oil: 54.45
Job Search Resources:
Local Job Openings:
- Controller (35M) East Houston – *New 314
- Controller (70M) NW Houston – *New 3/14
- Tax Manager (Federal & State) – West Houston – *New 3/13
- Senior Accountant – Conroe – *New 3/13
- Public Accounting – Senior Auditor – SW Houston – *New 3/11
- Accounting Systems Implementations Specialist SAGE 100 – Katy – *New 3/11
- Commercial Property Manager – Greenspoint – *New 3/11
- Senior Pricing Analyst – Professional Services – Downtown – *New 3/10
- Senior Tax Accountant – Succession plan for Controller – North – *New 3/8
- Staff Accountant – Conroe – *New 3/8
- Entry Level Staff Accountant – Conroe – *New 3/8
- Business Unit Controller – NW Houston – *New 3/8
- Senior Partnership Tax Analyst – Woodlands – *New 3/6
- Staff Accountant – Higher Ed – SW Houston – *New 3/6
- Senior Corporate Tax Director (Federal & International) – NW *New 2/26
- SEC Accountant – (one year or less in public accounting) – NW *New 2/26
- Spanish Speaking Bookkeeper – Downtown *New 2/23
- International Tax Analyst – NW Houston *New 2/26
- Internal Audit (20% travel) *New 2/26
- Internal Controls Director – Woodlands – 150 to 175K *New 2/26
- Senior Accountant – Greenspoint *New 2/8
- Regional Controller (Domestic) – Sugar Land *New 2/8
- Consolidations Accounting Manager – Woodlands *New 2/26
- Consolidations Accounting Manager – Galleria
- Internal Controls Manager – Downtown
- Internal Controls & Policy Manager, Sugar Land *New 2/8
- AR & Billing Manager – Professional Services – Downtown Houston *New 2/8
- IT Auditor / Cyber Security – CPA Firm
- Associate Director, Grant Accounting & Administration – Central – Nonprofit
- Senior Special Projects Analyst, 2 to 3 years Big 4, Sugar Land
- Lease Accounting Analyst, Sugar Land
- Audit Partner & Tax Partner, Public Accounting, Growing Firm!!!!
- Pricing Analyst, Professional Services, Downtown
- AR Staff, Professional Services, Downtown
- Audit Admin, Public Accounting, Greenway Plaza
- Tax Manager, Public Accounting, Greenway Plaza
- IT Auditor, Oil & Gas, Staff or Senior level, NW Houston
- Senior Cost Accountant, Oil & Gas, NW Houston
- Senior Internal Audit x3 / IT Auditors, Oil & Gas, Galleria
- Office Manager / Bookkeeper, Family Office, Galleria
- Experience Audit Associate, Public Accounting, West Houston
- Tax Senior, Public Accounting, West Houston
- Internal Audit (2), Woodlands
- Tax Analyst Planner, Public Accounting, West
- IT Auditor, Consumer Products, Galleria
- Accounting Manager, Public Accounting
- Senior International Tax Manager, Oil & Gas, Galleria
Our client, a global publicly traded company, is adding a Staff Accountant/Analyst to their SEC Reporting group. The staff will mainly assist to consolidate financial data with the supervision of a Manager and SEC Director.
- Assist with the preparing quarterly and annual of financial pages of SEC filings.
- Work with all levels and departments within accounting.
- Prepare the consolidation of various roll forward schedules.
- Prepare monthly elimination and consolidation entries.
- Coordinate providing quarterly and annual audit support to external auditors for consolidated and statutory audits.
- Assist in researching and applying GAAP rules and disclosures.
- Support VP to complete ad-hoc projects, as assigned.
- Assist in ensuring XBRL taggings are appropriate.
- The position requires the staff to have completed a minimum of 6 months of year-end external audit with a public accounting firm.
- CPA in process
- Master’s degree
- Basic auditing skills, strong communications, detail oriented and multi-tasking management.
This is a high visibility role with A LOT OF GROWTH POTENTIAL! Reports to the Segment Controller and also assists the Assistant Controller. Accountants need to be entrepreneurial and independent!
- Management reporting
- Fixed asset reconciliation and monitoring
- Audit Schedules
- Reconciling balance sheet accounts
- Creating monthly journal entries
- Journal entries resulting from reconciliations
- Create standard operating procedures for the department to increase efficiency Create processes
Qualifications of the Senior Accountant
- Strong communication skills (ability to present during meetings with leadership team)
- Advanced Excel skills (macros, creating dashboards, etc)
- Experience supervising entry-level staff
- 2-5 years of experience
- Syteline experience a plus but not required
- Process expense reports
- Review expense reports and expense invoice for proper coding
- Assist the accounting group with other items as needed
- Journal entries, reconciling balance sheets, reviewing/creating standard operating procedures with the Senior Accountant
Qualifications of the Staff Accountant
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to engage with others work with multiple departments
- Knowledge of Microsoft office suite with emphasis on Excel
- Experience with Coupa but not required
- Minimum 2 years of Accounts Payable experience
The successful candidate will be joining a company with over 30 years of operations poised for rapid-growth in the wholesale distribution industry. Growth is planned through both organic growth and acquisitions. The Controller will be supervising and developing a team of six and managing all aspects of accounting and supporting FP&A processes. The Controller should have strong communication skills and continuous interest in improvement.
Why work here?
- A mixture of Accounting/FP&A (will wear many hats)
- Direct exposure to ownership/board
- Rapid-growth opportunities with a stable company
- Lead Financial Reporting, Planning & Analysis
- Acquisition due-diligence
- Develop annual budget
- Inventory Management, costing and reconciliations
- Liaise with external auditors
- ERP enhancements/optimization
- Develop annual KPI’s and initiatives
- Ability to interact with senior management
- Accounting/Finance degree preferred
- CPA preferred but not required
- Netsuite ERP experience preferred but not required
Our Family-owned company (35M) is seeking a Corporate Controller to join its team of 8 in Accounting & Finance. We service the O&G industry and are focused primarily on domestic clients in the Southern United States. The new Controller will be joining a company that has operated for over 75 years and is well-established within its market.
Why work here?
-Opportunity to wear many “hats”, and to be more involved in operations
-Direct exposure to owners/presidents
–Supervise staff accountants, clerks, AP/AR
-Develop Financial/Accounting strategies
-Manage capital requests and budgeting processes
-Develop strategic performance measures
-Arrange for debt & equity financing/cash monitoring
-5+ years in a service or manufacturing environment
-Microsoft Great Plains (GP) experience
-Bachelors in Accounting or greater
-Experience in collaborating with an executive team
The Firm: A unique long-term opportunity for a Real Estate Development Accountant to work in the real estate development arm of a privately-held firm. The firm has provided strategic real estate development and asset management services to international investors since 1962. Four of the firm’s significant managed assets are located throughout the United States, such as Colorado, Texas, and Florida. The firm is an experienced developer of mixed-use transformational master-planned communities. The firm also has a commitment to building environmentally friendly, energy efficient, sustainable communities such as corporate campuses, regional hospitals, retail, civic, residential properties including high-density rentals to single-family homes.
The Senior Accountant Role: The successful Senior Accountant candidate will report to the Senior Vice President of Finance and will support the day to day accounting activities of property management and land assets. You will be contributing to the Company’s growing team with responsibilities in revenue recognition, bank reconciliations, fixed assets, accounts payable, accounts receivable and other month-end general ledger reconciliations. Responsibilities will include:
- Prepare and post all G/L activity including, but not limited to A/R, A/P, Job Cost accounting and Fixed Asset Accounting
- Work with on-site Property Manager
- Prepare month-end, quarterly and year-end closing paperless workpapers
- Prepare Quarterly Property Management reports for Owners
- Prepare annual lease abstracts
- Support and prepare CAM reconciliations and billings to tenants
- Create & enter journal entries into the financial system
- Prepare Financial Projections
- Review tenant leases, maintaining all files for leases including TI allowances, commissions due brokers
- Perform any ad hoc projects outside the position’s job description, where, in the company’s judgment, those duties are necessary in the interest of efficiency, productivity, or company growth
- Undergraduate degree in Accounting
- 2-5 years of public and private accounting experience, real estate experience, REIT accounting and knowledge of tax laws
- Proficient in Excel and Word
- Knowledge of Yardi Systems a plus
- Ability to leverage technology to automate processes
- Must be a self-starter and team player, ambitious, eager to learn and use their strong communication skills to work with internal team members
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to coordinate and prioritize multiple projects
- Attention to detail and accuracy is a must
The Houston Purchasing Managers Index (PMI), a short-term leading indicator for regional production, registered 56.1 in February, up marginally from 56.0 in January. Readings above 45 signal overall economic expansion in Houston over the next three to four months. Readings above 50 signal expansion in the manufacturing sector. The region’s PMI has signaled expansion in overall economic activity for 31 consecutive months and manufacturing activity for 18 consecutive months.
The Houston PMI is derived from monthly surveys of local purchasing managers representing various industries. In February, health care, professional services, construction and durable goods manufacturing reported expansion. Oil and Gas showed signs of contraction along with no-durable goods manufacturing.
Patrick Jankowski, CERP
Senior Vice President, Research
Roel Gabe Martinez, GISP, CERP
The current Tax Accountant is retiring at the end of 2019, so this person will be their replacement. There will be a gradual transfer of knowledge, so this individual will be fully set up for success in this role.
The Tax Manager will be responsible for:
- Corporate, partnerships, and personal tax
- Potential to take on more general accounting responsibilities
- 5-10 years of Tax experience
- Solid tenure (not moving every 2 years. Ideally, they’d like someone that will stay with the company for a long time!)
- Great personality, ability to work with others and fit in with the team (which is FULL of energy)
- Experience with OGsys highly desired. Wolfpack is plus
- Interest in stepping into the Controller role is a plus!
- Base + discretionary bonus, discretionary 401k (4% match this year)
- 3 weeks of vacation year 1. 4 weeks year 2
- 10 sick days, 4 paid personal days
- 12 paid holidays (including Columbus & President’s Day)
- Medical: Company pays 87% premium
- Great environment!
- Small, family owned company (AND very profitable)
- The Accounting team has been together for 20+ years! This is a great place to stay until retirement!
- Potential to grow into the Controller (and more than double their salary)
Our client is looking to add 2 staff accountants to their team! The client offers a great team environment, a great manager that loves to teach and set their staff up for success, and flexibility with the work schedule.
Military VETS encouraged to apply!!!!!!
The Staff Accountant will be responsible for:
- Maintain vendor file with accurate ACH information
- Accounts Payable processing & payment, AP accrual preparation
- Employee expense report processing & payment
- Monthly accounts payable Maintenance of lease files for management
To be Qualified for this role, candidates must have:
- Associate Degree, Accounting Degree or relevant work experience
- Interest in learning new things
Our client is looking to add 2 senior accountants to their team! The senior accountants will serve as team leaders in the department, so this will be a great opportunity for someone looking to grow within a company! The client offers a great team environment, a great manager that loves to teach and set their staff up for success, and flexibility with the work schedule.
The Senior Accountants will be responsible for:
- Reconcile daily cash to bank accounts
- Reconcile line of credit & loan draws/payments daily
- Weekly review & approval of all company time cards
- Daily billing of all completed projects
- Weekly balancing of accrued payroll & work-in-process accounts
- Monthly close journal entries, reconciliations
To be Qualified for this role, candidates must have:
- Bachelor’s Degree required, preferred Finance/Accounting emphasis
- 2 or more years accounting experience
- Interest in learning new things and ability to mentor staff accountants
Our client is hiring a Business Unit Controller. This is a newly created position due to recent acquisitions, so the responsibilities listed below may change in the near future! The company expects to grow 20% each year the next few years.
This is a GREAT opportunity for someone looking for long-term growth and stability! If you love challenges and winning as a team then THIS IS THE ROLE FOR YOU!
- Support aspects of accounting management (accruals, reporting, etc.)
- Assist in the reviewing/updating internal controls and policies
- Assist in the preparation of financial statements in compliance
- Manage journal entries, invoices and reconcile accounts for the monthly, quarterly and or annual closing.
- Participate in preparation for the annual audit.
Qualifications of the Business Segment Controller include but are not limited to:
Bachelor Degree in Accounting
- CPA with 3-5 years of public accounting experience (preferred)
- 2 years of leadership experience
- Minimum of 8 years of experience as a Controller or similar position
- Understanding of data analysis and forecasting.
- Knowledge of accounting and financial processes (reporting, budgeting & financial closure).
- Working knowledge of P21, Syteline, a plus BUT NOT REQUIRED
- Well organized with the ability to prioritize”
ABOUT THE POSITION
We’re currently seeking an Audit Senior or Audit Manager for a Houston based Accounting firm.
- Tremendous opportunity to work for a great leader and mentor who’s built their own book of business and move fast on a partner track!
- Great work-life balance and an excellent opportunity for growth
- CPE is fully paid for.
- Plan, organize and schedule engagements with clients to ensure all deadlines are met.
- Coordinate day-to-day duties of planning, fieldwork and reporting and communicate engagement status and issues with client and partners.
- Supervise staff during audits. *** Manager
- Prepare financial statements with disclosures and validate, test and assess various control systems.
- Adapt the audit approach to the changing client environment. Demonstrate a thorough understanding of complex accounting and auditing concepts and apply them to client situations.
- Develop and maintain productive working relationships with client personnel and assess clients’ satisfaction.
- A bachelor’s degree in Accounting; CPA Certification Required
- Minimum 5 years of recent audit experience in public accounting with a US firm
- Thorough knowledge of GAAP and GAAS; knowledge of GAGAS (Government Auditing Standards); OMB 133
- Candidates with healthcare and government audit (financial aid, school districts, university level) experience preferred