Metro Houston created 101,800 jobs, a 3.4 percent increase, in the 12 months ending
July ’18. That’s the strongest 12-month pace since February ’15 when the economy,
though entering a downturn, had momentum from the four previous years of frenetic
A few items of note:
• The construction sector has added 25,500 jobs over the past 12 months, an 11.9
percent increase. Much of the growth is due to Hurricane Harvey recovery efforts.
• Administrative and support services, (i.e., contract workers, security guards,
janitorial, landscaping, office support), added 22,400 jobs, a 10.8 percent increase.
The sector is benefiting from industry’s relying more heavily on contract workers.
• Professional, scientific, and tech services added 17,600 jobs, an 8.0 percent bump.
The sector, which includes law, accounting, engineering, computer systems, and
business services, is benefitting from the overall pick up in business activity.
’14 Apr Jul Oct ’15 Apr Jul Oct ’16 Apr Jul Oct ’17 Apr Jul Oct ’18 Apr Jul
Source: Texas Workforce Commission
Houston MSA Nonfarm Payroll Employment
Greater Houston Partnership Research Updated August 17, 2018
• Wholesale and retail trade have combined to add 13,000 jobs since July ’17, a 2.7
percent increase. One in every 6.4 workers in the region is employed in one of these
two sectors. Whole trade is benefitting from an increase in foreign trade and local
manufacturing activity, especially the production of oil field equipment. Retail trade
is benefiting from the resurgent economy and growing consumer confidence.
Busy, busy, busy recruiting for some of our amazing clients in Houston!!!!!
- Entry level rotational program (move every 12 to 18 months!!!) – Accounting & Finance grads (0 to 3 years of total experience) – Downstream – Stafford
- Director, FP&A – E&P – Galleria
- Senior Auditor – Public Accounting 9/80’s – GREAT work life balance – less than 20% travel!
- AP Specialist – Shared Service – Greenspoint
- Revenue Accounting Manager – E&P – Downtown
- Corporate Accounting Manager – E&P – Galleria
- Nonprofit Accounting Manager – Education – SW
- Senior Internal Auditor – Oil & Gas – NW
- Senior Accounting Analyst – Oil & Gas – NW
- AP Accountant – E&P – Galleria
- Corporate Staff Accountant – Oil & Gas – Downtown
- Financial Controller (SEC) – Midstream – Greenspoint
- Junior Financial Analyst – E&P – Woodlands(Investment Banking or PE exp required)
- Accounting Analyst – Accountant turned FP&A – Valuations / M&A – Woodlands
- Senior Financial Analyst – Healthcare – Med Center – Big 4 or large regional Public Accounting exp. required
- Tax Manager – O&G Field Service – Woodlands
- Production Accounting Manager – E&P – NW
- Revenue Accountant – Downtown Houston
- Revenue Accountant – All Levels – Energy Corridor
- Revenue Accounting Manager 20 year plus!, E&P, Downtown
- Senior Accountant – Nonprofit – Downtown – 9 to 5 schedule!
- HR Generalist – Consumer Goods – Greenway Plaza
- Accounting Supervisor (Senior ready for next step) – Manufacturing- NW
- Plant Accounting Manager – Manufacturing – Sugar Land
- Tax Senior Accountant (federal & state) – Drilling – Galleria
- Rotational Internal Audit Role (18 months) – Field Service – Galleria
- Senior Corporate Accountant – Downstream – Sugar Land
- Technical Accounting Manager – Downstream – Downtown
- Senior Cost Accountant (Oracle) – Manufacturing – Galleria
#jobs #accounting #finance #hiring #houston #entrylevel #newgrads
ONE FOR THE HISTORY BOOKS
The downturn in the oil industry is finally over. More
companies are reporting profits than losses. Fewer firms
are filing for bankruptcy. Oil now trades above break-even
cost for most producers. Exploration budgets continue to
grow. The North American rig count has rebounded.
Permits to drill have risen dramatically. Layoffs have
slowed to a trickle. Crude inventories have fallen. U.S.
production is at an all-time high. And global demand
continues to grow.
In Q2/16, only five of the 25 largest energy firms in Houston
earned a profit.1 That’s not surprising, given that oil sank to
$26 per barrel the prior quarter. Share prices took a
beating as well. By mid-’16, they’d fallen 30 to 90 percent
from their peaks, with a 66 percent drop being the average.
The expression that oil prices would be “lower for longer”
was heard so often it became trite. But companies heeded
the warning, reducing headcounts, slashing budgets and
focusing on only the best prospects in their portfolios.
These steps helped the industry to regain its health. In
Q2/17, 16 of the 25 largest reported profits. In QQ2/18, 20
of the 25 largest were in the black.
The return to profitability has prompted firms to pay down
debt, increase dividends, launch share buyback programs,
and boost exploration budgets. Profitability has also lifted
stock prices, but not to pre-recession levels. In early
August, the shares of a third of the top 25 traded at 80 to
95 percent of their previous peak, a third at 50 to 80
percent, and a third at less than half their peak.
Share prices haven’t fully recovered for several reasons.
Investors worry about the impact that climate change
regulations will have on the industry. Some fear that oil
demand will peak in the not too distant future. Others are
disappointed in the meager returns received on their
energy investments, especially when compared to tech
stocks. They also worry that as oil prices rise, exploration
firms will focus on growing production, not profits.
Our client’s mission is to create a healthier future for children around the world. They are currently searching for a Senior Financial Analyst. Our client is looking for someone who works well in a fast-paced setting. The Senior Financial Analyst will lead accounting and financial reporting for the companies new initiative & operations of cancer clinics in a third world country. In this position, you’ll gain experience supervising others, enhancing work processes, and utilizing PeopleSoft accounting software. Lastly, you will have the opportunity to contribute to the success of an exciting and impactful new initiative.
Think you’ve got what it takes?
- Willingness and ability to travel to overseas is required
- Commitment to supporting the mission of creating a healthier future for children and women
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
- 3 years of experience in Public Accounting
- Professional presence and Strong Work Ethic
- Leadership and coaching capabilities
- Willingness and ability to learn, help us improve, and develop your own professional skill set
Are you currently a Senior Accountant and ready to that Supervisor title? Our client is currently adding a Supervisor to their team due to growth. We are looking for a superstar Senior who is ready to lead a team of two degreed accountants. Some of the overall responsibilities will include maintaining of the General Ledger, Cost Accounting, Inventory Accounting, Review of A/R and A/P, month end close, and loading financials into Hyperion. The Supervisor will also assist in the preparation of various financial reports that forecast company business activity and financial position.
- Supervise a group of accounting support staff.
- Plans, organizes and schedules work of staff. Plans and organizes large projects performed by staff.
- Responsible for conducting performance appraisals and planning for training and development of subordinates.
- Oversee month end close for assigned businesses
- Assist with monthly forecasting and variance reviews
- Perform cost accounting reviews with operations
- Assist with Inventory reviews to ensure compliance with company policy
- Possesses and applies a comprehensive knowledge of accounting principles and practices.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Bachelors in Accounting or equivalent.
- 5+ years of Accounting experience.
- Prior Month End Close Experience
- Cost, Inventory & G/L Accounting
Our client offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Our client, a new publicly traded company, is looking for a hands-on Senior Tax Manager to join their team. The Manager is responsible for the company’s US income tax reporting and compliance. The primary responsibilities will include tax provision (40%), tax compliance (30%) and planning & research (30%). This is a great opportunity to join a brand new Tax team!
We are looking for someone who is self-motivated and has a positive, “whatever it takes” attitude.
- Direct preparation, management, review, and consolidation of ASC 740/FIN 18 income tax provisions, including SEC reporting and coordination with all business reporting teams.
- Establish and maintain processes designed to identify, assess, and calculate uncertain tax position (FIN 48) calculations.
- Direct calculation of the consolidated effective tax rate, draft SEC reporting disclosures and perform or supervise detailed review of supporting calculations and work papers.
- Manage relationship with financial statement auditor.
- Monitor and implement regulatory changes to GAAP income tax reporting.
- Organize and perform training sessions to ensure tax compliance.
- Oversee tax financial reporting controls, ensuring performance and documentation of internal controls.
- Generate and lead the implementation of ideas for process improvements and efficiencies.
- Ensure development and execution of annual tax compliance project plan.
- Direct preparation of the consolidated federal, state and foreign income tax returns.
- Direct resolution of federal tax notices; manage information responses to federal tax audits, including drafting and initial review of all document requests.
- Generate and lead process improvements and efficiencies.
- Provide support to business lines for indirect taxation.
Planning and Research
- Direct the review and research of the income tax treatment of Company transactions.
- Manage tax due diligence processes.
- Generate and implement ideas to generate cash tax savings and effective income tax rate benefits.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related field required;
- CPA preferred
Minimum of 5 years in tax experience in a corporate or public accounting.
- Demonstrates a passion for learning and a willingness to build new skills.
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills.
- Ability to recognize and implement opportunities to simplify processes and create efficiencies.
Diane Delgado LeMaire | Senior Managing Director, Executive Search & Branch Manager |
Creative Financial Staffing (CFS) 5718 Westheimer Suite 800, Houston, Texas 77057
T: 713.490.6003 | M: 713-594-4486
Our client is growing and adding a Financial Analyst to their team. They are publicly traded, located in The Woodlands and provide services and products to the Oil & Gas industry. This role will report to the Director of FP&A and assist in creating models, dashboard reports, and presentations to the BOD.
- Analyze current and past trends in key performance indicators including all areas of revenue, cost of sales, expenses and capital expenditures
- Monitor performance indicators, highlighting trends and analyzing causes of unexpected variance
- Support Budgeting, Financial Forecasting, and Operating Plan process
- Ad-Hoc Reporting and Analysis
- Quarterly and Monthly Financial reports
- Implement and work with a Business Intelligence Tool and Dashboard reports
- Develop financial models and analyses to support strategic initiatives
- Analyze complex financial information and reports to provide accurate and timely financial recommendations to management for decision-making purposes
- Supporting Senior Management Team and Departments heads with in-depth analysis.
- Prepare presentations to Board of Directors and Senior Management Team
- Four-year college or university degree in Finance, Accounting, or related field.
- or equivalent education and/or experience.
- One or two years of FP&A experience.
#finance #hiring #Woodlands #financialplanning #analyst
Salary: $55,000.00 to $70,000.00 /year
- Responsible for the reporting of a consolidated group of entities including intercompany accounting and eliminations.
- Perform monthly and quarterly closing duties including but not limited to:
- Prepare and post quarterly intercompany payoffs for several entities.
- Review monthly bank reconciliations.
- Prepare quarterly reports for Board of Director meetings, including but not limited to cash flows and partners’ equity report.
- Assist in preparation of audited financials for the consolidated company including schedules and footnotes and provide requests for external audit.
- Prepare budgeting and forecasting schedules for the annual budget.
- Update reports in Management Reporter with new companies and GL accounts as needed.
- Responsible for the accounting, audit, and investor reporting for private equity funds and related investment entities.
- Special projects as assigned.
- BBA – Accounting, CPA preferred
- Five plus years of accounting experience.
- Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Proven track record as an effective team player and good interpersonal relationships.
- Proficient in Excel and knowledge of Word and PowerPoint.
- Ability to multi-task
- Essential Responsibilities
- Oversee compliance of daily accounting procedures; maintenance of monthly, quarterly, and year-end closing schedules; and the preparation of monthly, quarterly, and year-end reporting packages
- Serve as an active participant in preparing for and communicating with the external financial community
- Assure the Company’s compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) while ensuring the highest quality policies, controls, and organization are in place to protect the integrity of the assets and information of the company
- Develop and manage the highest quality organization, whose systems and processes capture and deliver required financial information to all levels of the Company and external regulatory entities
- Prepare and file of all filings required by the SEC, including quarterly and annual 34 Act filings and 33 Act filings, as appropriate
- Design, implement and maintain accounting policies and procedures, ensuring adequate controls and safeguards; ensure compliance with existing policies and procedures and review accounting research for compliance issues; oversee the monitoring, testing, and implementation of controls relative to Sarbanes-Oxley compliance
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with internal teams and the external auditors
- Provide sound business judgment, strategic thinking, and broad perspective across the organization, while adding value as the senior member of the finance and accounting team
- Coach and develop employees within the accounting and finance function to ensure there is appropriate organizational development, succession planning, and performance management
- Manage the Company’s tax accounting efforts
- Develop strategic partnerships across the organization to support corporate goals
- Work with Senior Management and finance peers to ensure that budgets are developed, monitored and updated as appropriate
- Provide value-added and commercially minded analysis with regard to potential acquisition and structured finance activities
- Utilize and leverage the Company’s ERP software (BOLO)
Essential Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrated success in the development of staff toward improved skills, independence, and self-initiative
- Strong accounting, financial reporting and control, regulatory, tax, internal reporting and SEC reporting experience, with a firm grasp of auditing procedures
- Hands-on, focused, and detail oriented
- A strategic thinker with the capacity for increased responsibility/accountability
- Personal presence, confidence, and professional competence necessary to represent the Company with external entities
- Excellent communication skills; persuasive and capable of explaining complex accounting issues
- Keen business and financial acumen combined with mature and prudent business judgment
- Determined, innovative, and flexible with a strong work ethic
Education and Experience
- Undergraduate accounting degree or related field of study is required. CPA is required; MBA or Masters in Accounting is a plus
- Minimum of 10-15 years of progressively responsible accounting experience, and knowledge of accounting standards such as GAAP and FASB; both regulated and non-regulated operations
- Experienced accounting executive with a strong technical background and operational focus; public company experience is required
- Working experience in the oil and gas industry is required, specifically, knowledge of oil and gas production and revenue accounting, joint interest billing, and tax issues
- Previous experience in external financial reporting and internal audit is highly preferred
- Essential Responsibilities
Corporate Financial Planning & Analyst
The position will work with key business partners across the organization as well as with regional finance teams to standardize reporting, develop new KPIs and create more meaningful and timely reports that will enable rapid decision-making at all levels of the organization. This position will report to the Corporate FP&A Manager.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for financial analysis, forecasting methods, and building processes. They should also be able to work independently, anticipate and react to frequently changing business conditions with proven ability to perform under tight deadlines.
– Collecting, analyzing and reviewing quantitative data and creating meaningful reports to drive business improvement and cost reductions
– Working with business partners on spend optimization and strategic planning across two business units and multiple cost-centers
– Supporting the design, implementation, and maintenance of systems to support the team
– Provide monthly and quarterly operating expense summary and highlights for cost centers
– Preparation of executive and board-level presentations
– Participate in the quarterly rolling forecast processes
– Produce ad-hoc reports and analysis as necessary
– Bachelors’ degree in finance, accounting or an analytical field
– Four plus years of relevant experience that demonstrates a knowledge of corporate forecasting processes and financial analysis capabilities
– Strong analytic, financial modeling and reporting skills
– Passion for continuous improvement opportunities
– Excellent attention to detail; highly organized and able to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
– Excellent written and verbal communication skills
– Experience with a Corporate Performance Management system (Hyperion HFM, Essbase, Cognos, BW/BI, etc.)
– Big 4 experience
– Familiarity with statistical analysis
– Familiarity with predictive analysis
– Familiarity with M&A modeling
- Key Responsibilities:
- Record weekly, monthly and quarterly transactions related to public securities including dividend income, interest, gain/loss, foreign tax withholding and management fees
- Perform monthly custodial and bank reconciliations
- Record monthly oil and gas joint interest bills, revenue checks, and calculate related depreciation, depletion and amortization.
- Perform monthly close duties included but not limited to:
- Reconciliation of cost, FMV, income, gain and foreign taxes
- Maintain accrued interest schedule for bonds
- Post FMV adjustments to the general ledger
- Import offline fund transactions and valuations
- Assist in the preparation of weekly and monthly securities reports for Management Committee and Investment Committee
- Attend weekly Securities meeting with CEO and Investment team (Associates, Analyst, Accountant)
- Assist in the preparation of quarterly Board reports for oil and gas, marketable securities and private investments
- Prepare schedules and provide requests for external audit
- Assist in the preparation of budgeting and forecasting schedules for annual budget
- Maintain relations with custodians, request trades, and managing accounts
- Responsible for accounting, audit and investor reporting of a main fund and several investment entities that it manages. Duties included but not limited to:
- Prepare and send quarterly management fee invoices and capital calls for new investments as needed
- Maintain accounting records following GAAP
- Coordinate annual external audits (includes preparation of financial statements and providing audit schedules and requests)
- Prepare annual reports for investors (includes calculation of carried interests)
- Special projects as assigned
- BBA – Accounting
- 6 plus years of accounting experience
- Knowledge of public and private equity investments and oil and gas would be helpful
- Proven track record as an effective team player and good interpersonal relationships
- Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals
- Uncompromised reputation for discretion, honesty and personal integrity
- Excellent communication (verbal, written, and listening) skills
- Proficient in Excel
For the 12 months ending June ’18, metro Houston created 94,600 jobs, a 3.1 percent
increase. That reflects a significant jump from the 81,200 jobs created in the 12 months
ending May ’18.
On a 12-month basis (which removes seasonality and some noise from the data), three
sectors account for the bulk of the region’s net gains: administrative and support and
waste management and remediation services; construction and retail.
Administrative and support and waste management and remediation added 24,700
jobs, or 26.1 percent of the region’s total. This sector includes office administrative and facility support services provided on a contract basis, as well as employment, security, janitorial and landscaping services.
The construction sector added 19,300 jobs, or 20.4 percent of the 12-month total. The
bulk of these jobs (14,200) fall into the “construction of buildings” subcategory, which
presumably includes repair work for Hurricane Harvey.
Though department, clothing, general merchandise, auto parts stores and auto dealers
reported jobs losses, the overall retail trend has been positive, with the sector adding
9,100 jobs, or 9.6 percent of region’s total, in the 12-months ending June ’18.
Over the past 12 months, oil and gas exploration has shed 1,900 jobs, information 1,300
jobs, and other services 1,000 jobs. Information includes publishing,
telecommunications, and broadcast media. Other services include repair shops, barber
and beauty shops, and member organizations.
Houston’s unemployment rate was 4.6 percent in June, up from 4.2 percent in May and down from 5.1 percent in June ’17. Houston’s unemployment rate always ticks up in June as educators out of school for the summer holidays and students home from
college seek employment. The rate typically starts to fall again in August as educators
and college students return to their campuses.
Industry News and Updates – Q3 2018:
I can’t believe we are already half way through 2018. It has been a very busy year for CFS nationally and we continue to gain momentum locally as well. Keep in mind that Houston tends to lag a bit behind the national economy. According to the GHP, Houston has added 79,200 jobs in the past 12 months. Furthermore, growth has continued in a wide variety of sectors, but the largest spikes have been in Manufacturing and Construction. Employment services are also up over 20%. It is not uncommon to see a surge in use of temporary solutions when the economy turns. It is less risky and much quicker to bring in temporary talent. With that being said, we are also starting to see more and more hiring in the Exploration & Production industry and that is a great sign for Houston! I remain very optimistic about Houston and the job market for the remainder of the year and well into 2019!
Please forward this on to anyone in your network who may be interested and let them know I can add them to this distribution list. This newsletter comes out quarterly, so I promise not clog up your inbox. Stay tuned for my next newsletter.
- National Unemployment Rate: 3.8 (last year 4.1)
- Houston Unemployment Rate: 4.2 (last year 4.8)
- Labor Participation Rate: 62.9% (last year 62.8%)
- 67.3% Highest / 51.10% Lowest
- Manufacturing Index: 55.6 (last year 5.2)
- Oil Rig Count: 1055 (last year 935)
- Price of Oil: $67.77 (last year $45.61)
Job Search Resources:
• Resume Advice: https://dianedelgadolemaire.com/resume-advice/
• Certification List: https://dianedelgadolemaire.com/certification-list/
• Interview Preparation Checklist: https://dianedelgadolemaire.com/short-interview-preparation-checklist/
• Top Interview Questions: http://files.constantcontact.com/d2f7422c101/674fde67-74b2-401a-80e6-4b31c7cb1a5f.pdf
- Manager of Corporate Development – Woodlands – Field Services
- Management Accountant – NW Houston – Oil & Gas
- Accounting Manager – Technical – Downtown, Chemicals
- Revenue Accounting Supervisor – DT – Oil & Gas
- Revenue Accounting Manager – DT – Oil & Gas
- Production Accounting Manager – NW Houston – Oil & Gas
- Senior Operations Accountant – DT – Oil & Gas
- SEC Reporting Accountant – DT – Oil & Gas
- Crude Oil Accountant – DT – Oil & Gas
- Technical Accountant – DT – Oil & Gas
- Senior Cost Accountant – Katy – Manufacturing
- Senior Cost Accountant – Sugar Land – Government Contractor
- Senior Cost Analyst – Galleria – Manufacturing
- Senior Job Cost Accountant – Greenspoint – Construction
- AR Supervisor – NE Houston – Construction
- Accounting Manager – Governmental – Galleria
- SEC Accountant – Galleria – Manufacturing
- Tax Staff Accountant – Downtown – Midstream
- Hyperion Planning Administrator – Galleria – E&C
- IT Compliance Senior -Galleria – E&C
- Senior Auditor – Downtown – Power
- Audit Manager – Downtown – Power
- Assistant controller – New Orleans – E&P
- Tax Manager (Federal & State) – Katy – Manufacturing
- Audit Manager – Galleria – Manufacturing
- Staff Accountant (Entry Level) – Katy – Consumer Goods
- Nonprofit Senior Accountant – DT – Nonprofit
- Segment Controller (technical accounting) – Greenspoint – Manufacturing
- Accounting Manager – DT – Wealth Management / Investment Company
- Senior Tax Accountant – DT – Wealth Management / Investment Company
- Senior Accountant – DT – Midstream
- Senior SEC Accountant – DT – Midstream
- Senior International Internal Auditor (rotation program) – Galleria – Field Service
- GL Accountant – Galleria – Oil & Gas
- Real Estate Analyst – Rice Area – Nonprofit
- Investment Analyst – Rice Area –
- Assistant Controller – West – Construction
- Internal Auditor – West – Consumer Goods
- Accounting Manager – NW – Field Service
Contract Job Openings (short term, long term and temp to hire):
- Staff Accountant – Energy
- Senior Accountant – Government Contractor – Sugar Land
- Senior Accountant (SEC) – Chemicals – Downtown
- Vendor Maintenance Specialist – Downtown Houston
- Accounts Payable Clerk – Galleria
- Staff Accountant – Northwest Houston
- Accounts Payable Specialist – Northwest Houston
- Entry Level Accountant – Sugar Land
- Senior Accounts Payable Specialist – NW Houston
- Cash Application Specialist – Sugar Land
- Accounts Payable Clerk – Old Katy
Diane Delgado LeMaire
Senior Managing Director, Executive Search & Branch Manager