Industry News and Updates
First things first. Please make sure that you have added my new email address to your contacts. It is email@example.com.
With Q1 behind us lets jump right into the update for Houston. I am sure everyone is curious about the oil & gas prices and what impact they are having on the job market in Houston. I have been in the recruiting industry for almost 14 years and have already been through 2 full blown recessions. 2015 has been an interesting year so far. I feel like our local economy has taken a hit from the drop of Oil & Gas, but it’s not as severe (knock on wood) as I thought it would be. Some might beg to differ but, let me explain!
Obviously, Houston has been impacted by the depressed prices. Most Exploration & Production companies are not hiring at all. Some are even laying off, but downstream and midstream companies are still hiring. They are actually benefiting from the drop in price. Not to mention the back log of construction projects that are still on the books. We are also seeing increased demand from consumer products based companies (retail, restaurant, healthcare). Houston has gained nearly 570,000 residents in the past 5 years!
Just imagine the resources they will need from housing, healthcare to groceries and cars!
So, is the job market as good as it was last year? The simple answer is no, but there are still a lot of opportunities out there in several other industries outside of “oil & gas”.
Until next time..
- National / Houston Unemployment rate:8/4.3
- Price of Oil:$56.71(last year $100)
- Oil Rig Count:1109 (last year 1803)
- Industries hiring:Manufacturing, Construction, Consumer Products related companies, Real Estate & Homebuilding, Healthcare
- Positions in demand:Controller, Financial Analyst, Tax, Internal Auditor, Payroll,
– Property Accountant – Staff or Senior
– Treasury Analyst – Heavy Cash Management
– Treasury Analyst – Must speak Spanish
– Treasury Accountant – Must speak Spanish
– Controller – WIP / POC a MUST
– Full Time – Consultant – Transactions Advisory Services – All Levels!!!!
– Full Time – Consultant – Financial Advisory Services – All Levels!!!!!
– Hyperion Financial Analyst – HFM, Hyperion or Smartview experience – 1 to 2 years of experience!!!!
– Staff Accountant – work under 3 amazing controllers and learn from the best!!!!! no more than 2 years of experience needed.
– Internal Audit Manager – Pre-IPO company!
– Sales & Use Tax Accountant – staff and senior
– Payroll Manager MUST have Canadian payroll experience
– Financial Planning and Analysis Manager – HEAVY acquisition based
– AP Manager – SAP experience!!!!!
Still Looking For:
– Controller with domestic & international accounting experience (SEC too!)
– Controller, CPA with SEC
– AP Manager – bringing AP in house!
– Senior Accountant – Corporate accounting
– Director with International and Federal Tax experience – Partnership too
– Senior Auditor (less than 10% travel)
– Operational Auditor – 50% travel
– AP Supervisor – small company, family atmosphere
– Senior Accountant – Oil & Gas – Right hand person to the Controller
– Tax Analyst – Federal & State – Amazing tenure in this group!
– CFO – San Antonio – retail background preferred
– Budget Analyst – banner experience preferred
– Billing Clerk
– AP Clerk MUST speak French
News and Resources