My client is a leading Engineering consulting firm that recently expanded into the Houston area. With offices in New York, Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas, after 30 years of success they are now looking to break into the rapidly growing Houston Market. This group is a leading firm involved in disaster management as well as public infrastructure projects.
Why work here?
Rapid growth and opportunity
Stability, proven track-record
Tight-Knight group, very friendly
An 8-5 working day
Exciting travel options to New York, Florida, Mississippi, South Carolina (Optional)
Strong benefits (3 wks+ of PTO, 401K 4% match)
5+ years of accounting experience (Up to 15 years is welcome)
The Senior Accountant – Corporate Accounting will work with the Senior Manager – Corporate Accounting to ensure corporate business transactions are properly recorded in the Company’s financial statements.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
• Assist management with budget development, forecast updates and perform cost monitoring activities by tightly working with Corporate department heads.
• Perform variance reviews of G&A and operations support costs, researching variance root causes, and determining action plans to improve financial statement or outlook accuracy.
• Application of GAAP, internal accounting procedures and best practices in support of structured financial control environment.
• Perform & review account reconciliations and journal entries to ensure accuracy and validity of accounting transactions and company books and records.
• Lead the process of recording income tax-related journal entries and reconciling tax accounts. Work closely with the Tax Department to resolve issues.
• Lead the process of recording cash flow and balance sheet hedge entries and reconciling of related accounts. Work closely with the Treasury Department to resolve issues and in understanding issued financial instruments.
• Lead the process of recording debt-related journal entries and reconciling of related accounts. Work closely with the Treasury Department to resolve issues and in understanding changes in debt structure.
• Design and ensure effective operation of company internal controls;
• Perform special projects as assigned by management, including process monitoring and close process improvement initiatives; Identify process improvement inefficiencies and suggest potential solutions.
• Respond to audit requests for support documentation.
• Respond to various requests for ad hoc financial information.
• Bachelor’s or Master’s degree from accredited college or university (in Accounting or Finance) required.
• Minimum of 4+ years of professional experience, preferably a mix of public accounting and industry
• Certified Public Accountant (CPA) certification
• Masters Business Administration or similar advanced degree
• Strong understanding of PeopleSoft ERP
• Working knowledge of Hyperion Planning and Essbase
Prepare journal entries and review transactional data to ensure accurate financial reporting
Reconcile, analyze, and review general ledger accounts in preparation for month-end close to ensure accuracy and validity of accounting transactions.
Record payroll journals
Maintain Patent and Trademark Schedule
Maintain Sales Productivity reports
Be the back up for AR functions
Assist in Ad-hoc project/reports
Ability to work independently without close supervision
Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting-required
3+ yrs of experience
Must be excel proficient (pivot tables, vlook ups)
Preferred Oracle experience (not required)
I know everyone is ready for my update & opinion on the Houston employment market. Here you go: I still remain cautiously optimistic about 2016. The job market is definitely taking a hit locally (E&P and Field Services have been impacted the most), but there are a lot of industries that are still doing very well. There are also some positive things happening on a macro level that will impact our job market locally. First, we can finally export oil. The first shipments have already left Houston. We are yet to see how this will impact us, but I have to believe it will be good! Second, it sounds like Saudi Arabia, Russia, Venezuela and Qatar have agreed they will freeze output levels for a while. My hope is that would at the very least stabilize the price of oil and keep it above 30 dollars! Third, we still have a very low unemployment rate in Houston and nationally. That means that we are still at full employment and top talent is still hard to find. Finally, the BLS report states that the demand for Accountants and Auditors will grow by 16% through 2020. So, Houston is not going to experience another boom year, but we are also not going to bust either and that is great news!
See you again in April 2016!
National Unemployment Rate: 4.8 (last year 5.4)
Houston Unemployment Rate: 4.6 (last year 4.0)
Texas Unemployment Rate: 4.2 (last year 4.1)
Oil Rig Count: 654 (last year 1683)
Industries hiring: Consumer Products related companies, Downstream related companies, Real Estate, Public Accounting Firms!!!!
Positions in demand: Tax, Audit, Staff Accountants, HR support roles
• Bi-Weekly processing of Payroll
• Bi-Weekly processing of G/L
• Bi-Weekly processing of account reconciliation of payroll
• Bi-Weekly reconciliation of Intercompany Payroll Transactions
• Complete Worker’s Compensation Payroll Reports as needed
• Complete Ad Hoc Payroll Reports as needed
• Complete Vacation reconciliation monthly & quarterly
• Complete the Certified Payroll requests
• Complete the Electronic Archiving of Transactions processed daily
• Must have knowledge with the electronic child support orders
• Maintain garnishments weekly
• Gathers all information related to all payroll audits, including worker’s compensation for monopolistic states, regulatory agencies, internal audits, and external audits
• Completes Wire Requests to fund Exception Garnishment Payments or Payroll Corrections
• Must be bi-lingual, must be able to speak and write in Spanish fluently
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance, or Human Resources required & FPC or CPP required
• Minimum of Three (3) years’ experience in a Payroll Processing role with ADP Enterprise Version 4 or 5
• Compile and analyze financial information to prepare and post entries to general ledger accounts and to document business transactions.
• Perform and review general ledger functions to assist with monthly accounting activity and closings.
• Prepare monthly reconciliations of balance sheet accounts to general ledger, and may review and approve monthly balance sheet reconciliations.
• Prepare and review bank reconciliations and may perform other banking activities, such as letters of credit or collateral for specified accounts.
• Proactively detect, research, and resolve reconciliation items.
• Analyze and document revenue and expenditure trends and variances in account balances between periods and against budget.
• Prepare financial reports such as balance sheets, income statements, cash flow statements, budgets and footnote schedules.
• May assist with preparation and review of quarterly and annual SEC filings, as appropriate.
• Prepare financial reports such as balance sheets, income statements, cash flow statements, etc.
• Analyze revenue and expenditure trends and recommend appropriate budget levels, and ensure expenditure control.
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance or a related field or the equivalent education and/or experience
• CPA designation or progress towards CPA designation preferred
• Minimum of five years of relevant and progressive professional experience in accounting and/or finance
• Solid understanding of GAAP a
– Advanced fund accounting (AIV, SPV, CLO) and financial statements
– Coordinate portfolio company quarterly invoices
– Coordinate active deal announcements
– Coordinate quarterly statements and compliance requirements
– Coordinate document custody and weekly LP metrics
– Bachelor’s degree in accounting; minimum GPA 3.2 (cumulative)
– Public accounting experience; Big Four experience preferred
– Demonstrated progress towards professional certification; CPA preferred
– Two to five year’s professional experience; private equity experience preferred
– Good attitude, judgment, self-starter; accurate, independent, and efficient work