About the company: My client is on a mission to serve veterans and the community to get at risk groups back on their feet. They have a passion to restore dignity and improve quality of life of the vulnerable through their benefits program.
About the Controller: The ideal Controller will be passionate about leading a team. We need a strong people leader with a CPA, strong Federal grants accounting experience, and Single Audit SEFA. The controller will report directly to the Director of Finance and CFO. In 2-3 years time will be groomed to take over as the CFO.
What will the Controller do?
- Finance and Accounting Leadership
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements;
- Maintain internal controls and safeguards for receipts or revenue, costs, and program budgets and actual expenditures;
- Consistently analyze financial data and present financial reports in a accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements; monitor progress and changes and keep senior leadership abreast of financial status;
- Assist leadership in the annual budgeting and planning process; administer and review all financial plans and compare to actual results with a view to identify, explain, and correct variances as appropriate;
- Oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting; ensure that expenditures are consistently aligned with grant and program budgets throughout the grant/fund period; collate financial reporting materials for government, corporate, and foundation grants; and
- Manage organizational cash flow forecasting by working in partnership with the program managers/directors FD and CFO and continuously collaborate with program managers/directors to assess the financial efficacy of program operations and establish finance and administrative systems to support program operations.
- Leverage strengths of the current finance team members, help to clarify roles and responsibilities and develop and implement training programs in order to maximize and reach optimal individual and organizational goal; and
What we are looking for in a Controller:
The ideal candidate will be a data driven, process oriented, analytical individual who is self-motivated, and a strong communicator & people leader.
If you have excellent knowledge of federal grant accounting and are interested in working for a winning organization, this role could be the perfect fit for you! This position is suited for someone who enjoys making a difference, being part of a team, and takes pride in their career.
Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting
5+ years in federal grants accounting in a nonprofit setting
Strong Excel skills- strong written and verbal communication skills