Controller- Real Estate Investment & Development
Our client is one of the hottest Austin-based real estate investment & development firms. We are seeking an experienced Controller or Accounting Manager ready for the next step into a Controller role to support their growth. If you are an openminded & resourceful accountant that consistently seeks new or creative ways to do your job more efficiently you may be the right fit for this group. This is a hands-on Controller role where you will be very involved in the day to day functions as well as oversight and leadership of the team.
PERKS OF THE CONTROLLER:
You are joining an innovative real estate investment company who strives to positively impact people and communities through their projects. Their projects include mixed use, residential, retail, and workplace in the hottest areas of Austin. Many of their projects utilize buildings that have lost their luster but have the most interesting and beautiful architecture and “bones”. Their specialty is bringing those building back to life!
Culture is extremely important to this group. They are a high performing team and want others with a strong work ethic to join their team. Work life balance is also important to the team and you can expect to work an average of 40-45 hours weekly. The leadership team treats their employees with respect and wants to reward them for their hard work- the company continued growing and gave out bonus in 2020!
Not only does this company have amazing projects that allow you to see the direct impact of your work but they are also passionate about giving back to the community.
WHAT THE CONTROLLER WILL DO:
The Controller will oversee and maintain financial reports, records, and GL, as well as reviews budgets and performs general accounting for complex projects and properties managed by the company.
- Full-cycle monthly, quarterly, and annual accounting of operating real estate portfolio and development projects
- Monthly and quarterly financial statements and supplemental reporting
- Preparation and posting of monthly bank recs
- Daily or weekly cash management cycle for multiple bank accounts
- Monthly balance sheet reconciliation including follow-up of outstanding AR/AP
- Monthly review of GL expenses & all AR/AP prior to posting
- Monitor and review monthly receivables for accuracy, adjustments, and/or corrections
- Review and activate leases in Yardi
- Assist property management team with tenant ledger maintenance
- Review and post monthly commercial billing for income-producing properties
- Property Budgeting – Lead budget entry/review process and validate work of staff.
- Prepare and post monthly, quarterly, and year-end expense and income accruals, utilize budgets to analyze variances
- CAM -Review and post prior-year reconciliation charges annually.
- Maintain loan management spreadsheet & REI
- Maintain investor preferred return schedule monthly
- Closeout of WIP development projects
- Assist with capital draw requests for construction and development and prepare supplementary reports as needed with support from team.
- Filing of quarterly sales tax returns on an as needed basis
- Prepare partnership distributions for VP review & prepare annual GAAP/Tax/Equity reconciliations for review by Accounting Manager and VP of Accounting.
- Implementation of internal controls
- Preparation of management company and asset management company financials.
- Consolidations & intercompany transactions
- Maintain asset amortization and depreciation schedules
- Management and oversight of accounting team
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR IN A CONTROLLER:
- BS in Finance or Accounting required
- 6+ years in public accounting- audit or tax OR equivalent experience in property accounting with retail, office, and mixed-use properties.
- Yardi Experience a plus
- CPA required