ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
- Great culture, amazing office space.
- Federal, State, and Foundation-funded!
- Offers a wide variety of programs throughout Houston
- Very fast-paced environment.
- Must enjoy working with program leaders and executive leadership.
- Competitive compensation plan
- Central location in Houston
- Manage a team of 40 (5 Managers)
OVERVIEW OF THE CONTROLLER ROLE:
This role will report directly to the Chief Financial Officer, The Controller will direct and coordinate the activities and administration of the Accounting, Treasury, Grant Administration, Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Payroll, and Compliance teams.
WHAT WILL THE CONTROLLER DO?
- Manage the accuracy and productivity of day-to-day activities around payroll, treasury accounts payable, accounts receivable, grant administration and reporting, fixed assets, and general ledger accounting and develop metrics to report on these activities against benchmarks
- Actively participate in the preparation, analysis and review of both internal and external monthly, quarterly and annual reporting requirements for program management, directors, executive and Finance and Administrative Committee
- Responsible for all accounting functions, grant compliance, and internal controls for the organization. The position is responsible for directing all aspects of the fiscal functions of the organization in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and practices
- Manage the annual external audit process for the agency, working directly with the external audit firm and internal business process owners as necessary to ensure a successful and positive audit cycle
- Lead a team of 40 to regularly prepare relevant management reports, including semi-monthly, monthly, quarterly and year-end reports for each area of responsibility
- Lead and establish departmental strategies and goals that align with the agency’s strategic direction
- Lead tax reporting and compliance with all Federal, State, and Local laws
- Participate as a subject matter expert on all agency wide contractual projects including new program initiatives.
- Serve as an effective senior leader by coaching, orienting, counseling, and developing an effective team
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities which include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising and assessing team and individual performance
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR IN A CONTROLLER:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business Administration from an accredited college or university;
- 10 to 12 years of related experience in accounting or finance and a minimum of five years of supervisory experience (non-profit experience strongly preferred).
- CPA required