Our client is growing and adding to their team! They are looking for someone with real estate accounting experience, who would prefer to work for a smaller company and have their hands in a lot of different things from AP to Acquisitions!!! We are looking for a self-starter who loves to mentor and train!
The Assistant Controller is responsible for the accounting functions in a property management firm within the commercial retail real estate sector. This position is a member of the property accounting team that manages a multiple-region portfolio of national, regional and local commercial retail tenants.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supervise, prepare and maintain books and records for the monthly financial reporting process, including monthly close, operations analysis and detailed reporting to Owners/Partners .
- Construction/Development accounting including preparing draws, working with banks, and reviewing job cost reports .
- Review and approve commissions and tenant improvements .
- Managing and overseeing all Federal and State tax reporting with National CPA Firm .
- Perform actual vs budget analysis and report on variances .
- Prepare financial reports including balance sheets, income statements, and general ledger reports .
- Review quarterly loan compliance .
- Prepare quarterly distributions for partnerships .
- Participate and assist with annual budget preparation .
- Assist with the production and review of annual tenant triple net (NNN) CAM, tax, insurance and OEA/REA reconciliations .
- Assist with due diligence analysis for property acquisitions and the setup of newly-acquired assets as well as disposition activities .
- Assist internal and external contacts with inquiries regarding the portfolio of properties/entities .
- Provide information to and respond to other internal departments in a timely fashion.
- Perform assigned special projects as needed and other duties as assigned .
- Ensure accounting department objectives and deadlines are met.
- Perform Payroll and HR functions including biweekly payroll, annual insurance renewals and 401K administration and compliance.QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience with the accounting monthly close process .
- Ability to lead accounting department personnel .Intermediate experience with Excel .
- Prior experience within real estate or property management preferred .
- Prior experience with automated accounting software and/or property management accounting software preferred (e.g., Yardi, MRI, Skyline, Sage, Real Page, Management Plus) .
- Excellent written, verbal, telephone and email communication skillsEDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
- 6 – 12 years accounting experience required
- Prior experience managing a team required
- CPA or in process preferred