Industry News and Updates
Happy New Year! This year started off with a BANG for our Houston office. I don’t think I have had a busier start in January in all my years of recruiting. The Greater Houston Partnership forecast for 2018 actually calls for our region to create over 45,000 jobs. According to the Partnership, a lot of that is driven by the ties to the US& Global economy.
Here as some specific examples, they gave with regards to the US economy:
- Detroit produced more than 18 million light-duty automobiles and trucks in ’16. A typical family car contains 150 pounds of rubber, 200 pounds of fluids, and 250 pounds of plastics. These components likely come from the plastics and chemical plants along the Houston Ship Channel.
- The value of U.S. manufacturing output exceeded $6.1 trillion in ’14, and more than 6.2 trillion cubic feet of natural gas was consumed in the process. Much of that gas is found, produced and delivered by companies based in Houston.
- Americans drove more than 3.2 trillion miles in ’16. One-fourth of the nation’s refining capacity is located on the Texas Gulf Coast.
Here are some additional examples the Partnership provided with regards to our global ties:
- Metro Houston ranks second only to New York in value of exports.
- Nearly 5,000 Houston-area companies are engaged in global commerce.
- Global trade supports nearly 450,000 jobs in the region.
- The Port of Houston ranks first in the U.S. in foreign tonnage.
- Many of Houston’s public companies derive a significant portion of their revenues from their overseas operations. The average is 30 percent, but companies such as Halliburton and Oceaneering receive more than half their revenues from international sales and operations.
I am very optimistic about 2018 for Houston. I *think* the worst is finally behind us! I know this is the time of the year bonuses are paid, so let me know if you are ready to explore the job market. We don’t have to start a very active search, but certainly let me know about that “dream job” you would love to hear about.
Salary Guide: Link to 2018 Salary Guide
The guide features both local Houston salary data and national salary statistics.
- National Unemployment Rate: 3.9 (last year 4.4)
- Houston Unemployment Rate: 4.3 (last year 5.2)
- Labor Participation Rate: 62.7% (last year 62.9%) – January 2007 66.4% – I am not sure what is happening here, but it seems like less people are looking?
- Manufacturing Index: 52.8 (last year 50.2) Anything above 50 is AWESOME!
- Oil Rig Count: 930 (last year 634)
- Price of Oil: $65.51 (last year $50.5)
- How to Write the Perfect Post-Interview Thank You Note: http://wp.me/puDjI-22K
- List of Certifications for Accounting & Finance Professionals: https://dianedelgadolemaire.com/certification-list/
Job Openings (Temp & Perm):
- Real Estate, Galleria, at least 1-year real estate accounting required
- O&G Services, NW Houston, public or 2+ years corporate accounting required
- O&G Services, West Houston, standard cost accounting required
- Manufacturing, The Woodlands, public or 2+ years corporate accounting required
- Temporary Commercial Property Accountant, Central Houston, Property Management Services
- Temp to Hire, Staff Accountant, Opportunity to Work Remotely, Non-Profit
- Real Estate, Galleria, at least 3 years property accounting and degree required
- O&G Services, NW Houston, POC and CapEx experience required
- Engineering & Construction, Galleria, SEC Reporting, Big 4 required
- Engineering & Construction, Galleria, Consolidations & Internal Reporting, Spanish required
- Manufacturing, The Woodlands, public or 5+ years corporate accounting required
- Forensic Accounting, Galleria, public accounting required
- Temp to Hire, Accountant III, Central Houston, Family Services
- Assistant Controller: Non-Profit, Downtown, multi-location experience required, non-profit and public preferred
- Assistant Controller: Real Estate, 5+ years residential or commercial property accounting, supervisory experience required
- Plant Accounting Manager: O&G Services, Pearland, SOX and strong standard cost required
- VP, Controller/ CAO: Manufacturing, The Woodlands, IPO, SEC reporting, CPA and manufacturing required, CFO track
- Director, Tax: O&G Services, The Woodlands, experience building or growing tax dept, JD preferred
- Director, SEC Reporting: O&G Services, The Woodlands, public & heavy SEC reporting required
- CFO: Manufacturing, Phoenix, AZ, private-equity, and manufacturing required
- E&P, NW Houston, public accounting required
- E&P, Downtown, public accounting + heavy SQL required
- O&G Services, NW Houston, corporate compliance experience required
- Holding company, Downtown, high net-worth and/or partnership tax compliance required
- Staff: O&G Services, NW Houston, public or 6+ months straight industry required
- Senior: O&G Services, NW Houston, public or 5+ years straight industry required, 50% domestic & international travel
- Senior: O&G Services, Galleria, Big 4 or large regional firm required, rotational program, 30% domestic & international travel
- Senior: O&G Services, NW Houston, Public accounting or 3+ years straight industry required
- Investment Firm, Galleria, rotational program, Big 4 or large regional firm required
- Senior: Trading, Galleria, Big 4 or borrowing base/bilateral agreement experience required, bilingual strongly preferred
- Global Cash Manager: O&G Services, The Woodlands, large company treasury experience required
- Temp to Hire, Treasury Analyst, Central Houston, Gas, and Power Firm
- Hyperion Administrator: Engineering & Construction, Galleria, heavy Hyperion Suite required
- Dynamics Administrator: Chemical Manufacturing, Pearland, heavy Dynamics required
- Systems Accounting Manager: O&G Services, the Woodlands, ERP implantation experience, Accounting background required
- Temp to Hire, SQL Database Admin, Central Houston, Oilfield Services
AP, AR, Payroll, & Other:
- AP Manager: Construction, The Woodlands, mid-volume, degree preferred
- AR Clerk: Financial Services, Westchase, 1-3 years AR experience
- Temporary Accounts Receivable Accountant, Central Houston, Gas and Power Firm
- Temporary, Accounts Receivable Clerk, West Houston, Oil and Gas
- Temp to Hire, Accounts Receivable/Billing Specialist, Central Houston, Oil and Gas
- Temporary Accounts Payable Clerk, North Houston, Oil and Gas
- Temp to Hire, Accounts Payable Specialist I, Central Houston, Non-Profit
- Temp to Hire, Accounts Payable Supervisor, Central Houston, Non-Profit
- Temp to Hire, Accounts Payable Specialist, North Houston, Oil and Gas
- Temp to Hire, Senior Accounts Payable Specialist, Central Houston, Oil and Gas
- Temp, Accounts Payable/Admin Assistant, Central Houston, Homebuilding
- Long-term Temp, 3 Customer Service Agents, Central Houston, Non-Profit
- Temporary Payroll Clerk, Central Houston, Growing Energy Company
- Temp (1-2 days/month), Benefits Accountant, Central Houston, Non-Profit
- Temp to Hire, Cash Applications Specialist, West Houston, Industrial Services
Diane Delgado LeMaire | Senior Managing Director, Executive Search & Branch Manager | Creative Financial Staffing (CFS)