Industry News and Updates
We have hit the half way point of 2017! I cannot believe the 4th of July has come and gone and that we are less than a month from football season kicking off (Go Texans & Coogs!). As I take a step back and look at CFS Houston for the first half of 2017, we have seen the market finally rally! Even though we were off to a slow start in the first quarter, things really picked up steam in the second quarter. Based on how we are trending right now, I am confident that the second half of 2017 will continue to have a strong demand for hiring. In the many years I have recruited in the Houston market, the strongest have always been August, September and October. You might be wondering what the slowest months are – this is not the case every year, but typically they are January and July.
If you’re looking to make a move, it’s the right time to start dusting off and updating your resume. If you don’t feel like you’re in a position to accept the right offer “today,” then it probably makes sense to hold off until you are, as you don’t want to invest time and effort interviewing if you’re not truly looking to make a move. The good news is that unemployment continues to fall, which creates a low supply of talent to match a high demand for talent. If you’re in that “wait and see” mode, that is okay too. Just let me know when you are ready. I hope to be your go to recruiter when the time is right.
Feel free to reach out to me with any questions. See you again in September!
- National Unemployment Rate: 4.1 (last year 4.5)
- Houston Unemployment Rate: 5.1 (last year 4.9)
- Labor Participation Rate: 62.8% (last year 62.7%) – January 2007 66.4% (Why are there not more people coming back into the job market nationally?)
- Manufacturing Index: 54.1 (last year 45.8) This jumped up a lot of in the past two months!!!!
- Oil Rig Count: 893 (last year 407)
- Price of Oil: $51.06 (last year $40.75)
- Industries hiring: Manufacturing, Real Estate, Consumer Goods, Limited Oil & Gas is coming back, Non Profit, Public Accounting Firms!!!!
- Positions in demand: Audit, IT Audit, Staff Accountants, Controller roles are coming back, SEC
- Why your handshake matters: http://wp.me/puDjI-1VB
- Interview questions on resilience and how to answer them: http://wp.me/puDjI-1UP
- Free Resume Writing Tutorial! www.careertuners.com: http://wp.me/puDjI-1TG
- List of Certifications for Accounting & Finance Professionals: https://dianedelgadolemaire.com/certification-list/
- 41 REASONS WHY CANDIDATES FAIL AT INTERVIEW: http://wp.me/puDjI-1Sd