Chief Financial Officer
This position has responsibility for developing and executing the financial and operational strategies for initially a series of public business development companies.
• Understands the private debt markets, liquid credit markets and various credit investments strategies and translate this knowledge into effective fund and advisor level financial models. Formulates budgets, forecasts and reforecasts; maintains all budgets vs. actual reporting for the fund, and the fund board.
• Understands the traded space and assumes active role in liquidity strategies for fund
• Collaborates with fund senior leadership and fund sub-adviser partner to assess and make recommendations on strategic business opportunities. Participates in the Advisor’s investment committee process for the fund.
• Oversees all fund administrative processes and financial operations, fair valuation of investment portfolio, treasury management, accounting oversight, and accounting control environment for the fund.
• Directs corporate governance oversight matters and fund service providers in collaboration with the chief compliance officer to ensure compliance with all regulations and agreements.
• Identify potential Corporate Development activities
• Maintain a strong relationship and control environment over third party service providers
• Champions talent acquisition and development to enhance organizational performance.
Financial & Regulatory Information
• Personally reviews, signs, files and ensures the accuracy of all financial reports to regulators, lenders and other necessary entities; reviews and signs federal/state tax returns.
• Reviews all common stock selling documents and registration statements.
• Provides ongoing recommendations on how to improve the fund’s financial performance relative to the investment return goals of the fund.
• Report financial results to the Board of Directors
• Identified and monitor key risks to the company
• Design appropriate reporting, systems and controls to mitigate risks and appropriately report those risks to the BOD, Executive management, advisors and key stakeholders
• Monitors and recommends insurance coverage levers to ensure appropriate coverage
• Ensure that the company complies with all legal and regulatory requirements
• Ensure that record keeping meets the requirements of auditors and government agencies
• Maintain relations with external auditors and investigate their findings and recommendations
• Monitors cash balances and cash forecasts
• Collaborate on designing and executing a strategy to monitor the left side of the balance sheet and execute on that plan
• Participates in development and improvement of relationships with strategic partners including service providers, clients, potential partners, investors, internal and external auditors, and other key business contacts.
• Shares responsibility for overseeing investor communications.
• Develops Board reporting format and recommends agenda topics, continues to enhance Board relationships and engages in periodic and consistent interaction with Audit Committee.
• Actively participates in fund performance updates to the Advisors
• Overall responsibility for financial reporting, budgeting and coordination with general counsel on annual 15c renewal
• Acts as strategic/thought leader by staying abreast of industry news and trends and nurturing and growing contacts and relationships in the credit sector.
• Participates in development of business strategies, procurement and allocation of fund capital, and proactive risk management.
• Works with the senior management team and fund sponsor to develop and refine a comprehensive and compelling strategic vision for the fund.
• Coordinates work with rating agencies, investment banks and financial institutions in successful procurement of fund capital
Leadership in a Liquidity Event
• Lead preparation, planning, coordination and evaluation of analytics around strategic alternatives
• Participate in roadshows and execution of any capital events as part of liquidity event
• Development of plans, should liquidity event be a listing, to stabilize stock price and broaden institutional ownership
• Strong executive presence
• Strong communication skills in oral, written, and presentation formats
• Recognize business opportunities in the industry – an entrepreneurial mindset
• Ability to build strong relationships among partners, industry leaders, members of the fund’s Board of Directors, peers, and associates, including substantive external contacts
• Strong leadership skills with the ability to motivate and lead a high quality team
• Excellent interpersonal skills – an effective and collaborative team player
Education & Experience Requested
• MBA and CPA preferred
• Knowledgeable and proficient in ’40 /’33/’34 Acts, Investment Advisers Act of 1940, GAAP as applied to investment companies, RIC federal tax rules and regulations, compliance regimes for investment companies, and other key governing regulations and rules.
• Prior experience in the preparation of and/or signer review of annual reports (Form 10-K) and quarterly reports (Form 10-Q) for public reporting companies.
• Minimum 10 years of experience in corporate finance and management.