Industry News and Updates – Q4 2018:
This is it, the last quarter of the year! And Houston sure has been busy. According to the GHP, we have created 110,200 jobs in the past 12 months, which is the strongest pace since 2015. Construction and professional services seem to be leading the way with the most growth, but I am happy to report that oilfield and mining have seen positive gains. This is mainly due to the oilfield service companies adding headcount again.
Are you having trouble finding talent for your own department? Trust me, you aren’t the only one… it’s a candidate’s market – which means its getting tougher and tougher for employers to fill their openings. With that in mind, I am always happy to help identify talent!
As we close out the year, I am very optimistic about 2019. All indications point in a positive direction for Houston! Don’t forget, this is the best time of year to “brush off” your resume and add any new skills you’ve learned or achievements you’ve accomplished. You’ll thank yourself later, especially if you decide you’re ready to test the market and send it out!
Economy at a Glance: Article
Houston Talking Points: Article
- National Unemployment Rate: 3.9 (last year 4.5)
- Houston Unemployment Rate: 3.9 (last year 5.1)
- Labor Participation Rate: 62.7% (last year 63%)
- 67.3% Highest / 51.10% Lowest
- Manufacturing Index: 61.2 (last year 46.5)
- Oil Rig Count: 1053 (last year 940)
- Price of Oil: $70.15 (last year $46.50)
Job Search Resources:
- Resume Advice: https://dianedelgadolemaire.com/resume-advice/
- Certification List: https://dianedelgadolemaire.com/certification-list/
- Interview Preparation Checklist: https://dianedelgadolemaire.com/short-interview-preparation-checklist/