So, you landed the interview. Here are some things to think about before you head out the door!
- Paperwork! Take a few copies of your resume. A one on one interview can quickly turn into a panel interview! Also, it’s possible that you will be introduced to others who were not on the schedule (which is usually a very good sign)! Don’t forget a list of references, any examples of work (that do not have confidential information), and those letters of recommendation.
- List of great questions! Get creative with this. Do your research! Think of questions that not only highlight that you did your homework but also ask questions that help you showcase your skills!
- A nice portfolio! Please do not take a manila folder. Yes, this has happened. Go out and buy yourself a decent portfolio. And make sure you have a pen to take notes! Yes, it’s ok to write something down during the interview or remind yourself of a question you want to ask at the end.
- Your suit and a smile! Yes, you should be wearing a suit! I can’t even believe I still have to say that out loud. You only have one chance at a first impression. It’s always better to overdress, even on Fridays. Remember: You are interviewing for the job you want, not the one you have! Also, don’t forget that smile. Positive energy is contagious!!!!
- Stories! When you are working your way through the job description think of examples that apply. Try to make a short story out of it. The purpose of this is to create a picture in the interviewers’ mind of you doing the job. Stories make a much bigger impact than canned answers.
Good luck with your next interview and don’t forget to check out these tips before you step foot in the lobby: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/8-things-remember-before-after-you-step-foot-lobby-delgado-lemaire/