Controller- 90-105k, 10% bonus
The controller is responsible for directing the accounting functions of an affordable housing organization. These functions include establishing and maintaining the organization’s accounting principles, practices, procedures and initiatives. Prepares financial reports and presents findings and recommendations to top management.
The position serves as the primary resource to the CFO in treasury management, forecasting, accounting and budgeting efforts of the organization and its affiliates.
ABOUT MY CLIENT:
My client is a stable and growing mission driven organization with both non-profit and for profit entities. We are seeking a rockstar Accountant/Controller to join their team of ~15. The ideal candidate will possess leadership qualities, have experience with systems conversions and implementations, be a CPA or CPA eligible, and a true “go-getter”. Experience in audit, Property management, construction, and non profit are preferable. However, if you do not possess the industry experience, it is imperative you are a fast learner and are eager to grasp new concepts!
In return for your hard work and dedication, you will be rewarded with 100% paid medical benefits, a great team, and flexibility in your work schedule.
MAJOR JOB DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE CONTROLLER:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Manages the Finance Department for the accurate and timely dissemination of financial management reports including, but not limited to, internal and external monthly financial statements and annual audits and annual budgets.
- Responsible for coordination of annual audits for multiple entities.
- Oversees and manages appropriate regulatory compliance requirements.
- Monitors the activities of the accounts payable department to ensure the accurate and timely processing of accounts payable, purchase orders, petty cash, core employee expense reports, cash control, core payroll processing and total corporate payroll tax compliance.
- Assures corporate income tax compliance to assure the accurate and timely completion of all corporate income tax returns for multiple entities, taking full advantage of all favorable tax codes.
- Establishes and maintains systems and controls that verify the integrity of all systems, processes and data, and enhance the company’s value.
- Responds to CFO as assigned with accurate and timely work to facilitate financial needs.
- Responsible for coordinating and completing all deadline-focused projects.
- Participates in a wide variety of special projects and compiles a variety of special reports.
- Leads and directs the work of others within the departmental hierarchy.
- Assists in driving change of organization’s strategic initiatives, including automated financial and management information systems for the organization.
- Financial Management.
- Technical Capacity.
- Performance Management.
- Ethical Conduct.
- Communication Proficiency.
- Personal Effectiveness/Credibility.
Supervisory Responsibility for the Controller
This position is responsible for managing the accounting department. Must demonstrate ability to plan, direct and/or supervise the work of others, and delegate responsibility and authority. Must maintain a positive work environment by creating job motivation and enthusiasm and have the ability to resolve conflicts in positive ways.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance.
- CPA certification.
- Eight to ten years of hands-on accounting managerial experience.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Five years corporate audit experience preferred.
- Knowledge of and previous experience in HUD/Affordable Housing Regulations
- Property management and/or non profit or construction industry experience