Industry News and Updates
Let me be among the last to wish you a Happy New Year! I hope that you had a wonderful holiday season and that 2017 has gotten off to a good start. Historically, many people make finding a new job a New Year’ Resolution, and if that’s a goal of yours for 2017, I’d be happy to help. The year ended with an extremely active November and December, which is customary in our business. Many of our clients are looking to have their departments fully staffed before year-end, which creates a lot of hiring right before the holidays. Other clients are reaching out to us right now as they have had to wait for the budget year to begin in order to get long-awaited openings filled.
Short story is, companies are starting to hire again! Many jobs are being filled by people who are currently employed; which in turn creates additional openings… and keeps the merry-go-round turning! All this is good news for professionals thinking about making a move in 2017. The Houston market is finally turning and I do believe it will be a good year with many more openings than 2016. Houston created approximately 22,000 jobs in 2016 and has forecasted to create 30,000 more in 2017. Not as good as the 50,000 to 60,000 we are typically used to, but it is much better than the 15,000 created in 2015! Please do not hesitate to reach out if you need help with filling current openings on your team as well!
See you in April!
- National Unemployment Rate: 4.4 (last year 4.8)
- Houston Unemployment Rate: 4.9 (last year 4.8)
- Labor Participation Rate: 62.7% (last year 62.7%) – All time high January 2000: 67.30% / All-time low 1977: 62.4%
- Manufacturing Index: 50.7 (last year 43.3) – from what I have read 50 is the magic number! YES!!!!!
- Oil Rig Count: 580 (last year 760) – all time high around 1900 in 2012!
- Price of Oil: 53.88 (last year around 43.3)
- Industries hiring: Retail, Manufacturing, Real Estate, Consumer Goods, Limited Oil & Gas is coming back, Non Profit, Public Accounting Firms!!!!
- Positions in demand: Internal Audit, SEC or Big 4 backgrounds are in high demand, Finally seeing Controller and some Accounting Manager positions, Senior Accountants
- 6 Questions to Ask in Every Job Interview”: http://wp.me/puDjI-1DK
- 40 Interview Questions That Will Sort the Great from the Good http://wp.me/puDjI-1Do
- How to maximize LinkedIn for your job search http://wp.me/puDjI-1Df
- Interview Preparation Checklist: https://dianedelgadolemaire.com/short-interview-preparation-checklist/