A very important lesson in your job search is to remain positive. It’s easy to get discouraged when things do not go as planned- perhaps you don’t get the job offer, or if you do get it, it’s not what you would have hoped it to be. Remember, misery loves company but a positive attitude attracts positive results.
Here are some additional lessons of a job search:
- Be open to all opportunities, even when you least expect them.
- Make a plan and laser focus on your goals.
- Nobody is a professional interviewee; the only way to get better is to practice.
- Seek out feedback on how you can improve as a job seeker- on your resume, interview skills, etc.
- Be more prepared for your next interview. Use the questions that stumped you in your prior interviews in preparation for the upcoming ones.
- Learn as much as you can and ask more questions during your interview.
- Do not get caught up on titles or salaries, but rather consider the big picture of your career growth.
- Expand your job search beyond sending your resume to the black holes of ads posted on job boards.
- Consider what problems of an organization you can solve and offer the solutions rather than only looking for a job.
- Be confident in your skills and do not get discouraged based on the ad – go for it!
- You will end up spending more time at work than you do at home. Don’t pick a job where you can’t stand your boss or the people you would work with.
- Don’t be someone you are not throughout the interview, as it will become exhausting to not be yourself once you get the job.
- Do not settle or over-compromise. Focus on making a smart long-term career move rather than simply obtaining another job.
- Never stop networking and do not underestimate anyone you meet or who they may know.
- You can always expand your expertise. Consider furthering your education, obtaining additional certifications, or seeking out mentorship.
- Stay humble and grateful for any assistance. Appreciate the time someone may take out of his or her schedule to interview you or to hear you out.
- Do not give up on finding the perfect next move!
Have more questions about your job search? Comment below! You can also reach out to one of our expert recruiters. See a full list of CFS locations here.