Curious what is happening in Houston???? This is a good one to read!!!!!
Here are some highlights:
- Three factors drive our economy: Price of oil, value of the dollar and the health of the U.S. economy.
- Job Count is negative – we have 22,000 less jobs than we did in December of 2014.
- Leisure/hospitality, business services, healthcare and IT sectors have added the most jobs.
- Our Houston Metro population is continuing to diversify: Anglo (37%), Hispanic (36%), Black (17%), Asian (7%)
- Houston’s media age is 34.
- Our labor participation rate is higher than the national average. 67.1 vs.62.9
- Traffic is horrible! We have 2.9M commuters vs 2.2M in 2005! No wonder it takes me an extra 20 minutes to get to work now.
- 31% of the population in the Houston area has a Bachelor’s degree or higher.
- The median household income is 60K.
- In 2014 we were the 4th largest economy by GDP.
- Houston grew by 6.5% in 2013 and 1.6% in 2014. What will that number be in 2015?
- Dallas grew the most last year (out of 20 largest metro areas).
Diane Delgado LeMaire